Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mandatory viewing before election day

One of the best and moving motion pictures of all time: "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington." This should be mandatory viewing for everyone prior to voting in November!

Smith: "I guess this is just another lost cause, Mr. Paine. All you people don't know about lost causes. Mr. Paine does. He said once they were the only causes worth fighting for. And he fought for them once, for the only reason any man ever fights for them. Because of just one plain, simple rule: "Love thy neighbor."

"And in this world today full of hatred, a man who knows that one rule has a great trust. You know that rule, Mr. Paine. And I loved you for it -- just as my father did. And you know that you fight for the lost causes harder than for any others. Yes, you even die for them -- like a man we both knew, Mr. Paine.

"You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked! Well, I'm not licked. And I'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause, even if this room gets filled with lies like these; and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me."

[Smith collapses]

... Senator Paine leaves the Senate chamber and, overcome with guilt, attempts to kill himself. When he is stopped, he bursts back into the Senate chamber, loudly confesses to the whole scheme and confirms Smith's innocence.

If only real life were like this!
"No matter how many times I see this film it never fails to bring tears to my eyes or choke me up at various moments. The exact scene is not quite predictable and I can’t be sure if it’s "sense memory" bringing me back to an earlier time when the cynical strains of adulthood hadn’t yet taken over my being. Smith is a fresh experience for me each time. I have never marveled quite so at the brilliance of James Stewart as the wide-eyed Senator. I just sort of took his passion for granted. It is a brilliant performance. This great film ranks amongst my favorites."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home